Thursday, February 11, 2010

Health System Broken

I am in a b@#$%y mood. I am on SS income and have medicaid. My dental will only pay for extractions. Now I have 18 teeth left. 
Christmas I started with a toothache. Of course you can't get into a dentist over the holidays. He pulled two teeth. As a result I have a piece of my jaw bone poking out of my gum toward my cheek. My insurance will not cover them fixing this problem. Nice.
I cringe when I hear people say they don't want the government to get involved with the healthcare system. On my income I would never be able to aford any type of health insurance. People don't know what it is like to have to chose to have you teeth removed because you can't aford to have it fixed. "Oh that will only be $800." Like I have $800 stuffed in my couch! Get real.
In America good health is only for the rich. The rest of us will die early, in ill health and  toothless.
The other thing that gets me (yes I am letting it all hang out today) is the way Social Security is set up. You get a percentage of what you put in. Now we all know that women all through our history are making less than the men. So who are the poorest in the land? Yes, women who are disabled.
Watching this political dance go on up in Washington DC makes me sick. Denial and delays of fixing the health care system will only prove all along what we have all known, that politians are talking out of both sides of their mouths.
There is a time of accountability. 
The US keeps running behind globaly in health care, women's issues, hunger, scientific research, global warming, dependance on oil, pollution, education, infant mortality rate, cancer research, assistance to help in natural disastors and many more humanitarian issues.
Sometimes I am embarrased to be an American. 
Don't get me wrong, I love this land, but it has to be fixed. It isn't the same old business of the old boy's (white) club. Look around, we are getting left behind. We need to apologize to the planet for the way we have behaved as war mongers chasing oil deposits for a few to get rich.
Of course if you are in denial, then you have no clue. But your reward will be waiting and you can't take it with you. 

1 comment:

  1. I am constantly astonished by the US healthcare system - for all its faults, here in England, medical care is free at the point of need. I am so sorry you are suffering with your teeth - always so painful. Hope that is sorted soon.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog
    Blessings xx

    ReplyDelete